Friday, February 13, 2009

Everything is easy for God



Some friends and family call with legal problems. For example, Jim called worried about some competition moving in next to his store. He had a complex legal theory about how he could force his landlord to keep the competition out.

I listened to Jim's legal theories and strategies for a few minutes. Some of his ideas were pretty good, some were not too practical. After hearing him out I suggested something else.

"Take a chair and go into those woods behind your house. Sit there for an hour and turn this over to God." I also suggested, "Ask for a solution that is in the best interest of everybody involved."

Jim immediately complained "Dave, this is a real problem, I need a solution by Tuesday, that's when they sign the lease." So, I replied, "That's easy, tell God you need an answer by Tuesday." We went back and forth for about 30 minutes, Jim insisted that kind of approach would not work. He needed a legal solution and he needed it now. Eventually, he gave in and headed towards the woods with a chair.

On Saturday Jim called and explained that the problem was resolved. The new business did not get its financing. Jim had his answer before Tuesday, it cost nothing and it involved no conflict. There were no hurt feelings, no oppositional reactions, and no sharp words. No attorney or judge could have given a better solution faster.

I have used this approach several other times. It has never failed. Similarly, never has anybody done it without arguing with me first that they had a "real problem" and they needed an "immediate solution."

They seem to think that some things are hard for God or that Divinity can't move fast. I wonder where those strange ideas came from? Everything is easy for God.

1 comment:

  1. Dave, I believe this story is true.
    I know that my situation is easy for God too. I have ask God a particular position that I desire, and am perfect for- my cridentials, education and experience makes me perfectly suited for this position. But there are rules in place that keeps me from outright appling; I have received a repramand for even inquiring about the position. Now someone else is up to be voted on. I pray the best for them but this one is for me.

    ReplyDelete